We're glad you came! Read, Enjoy and Comment.
RSS

Monday, April 5, 2010

Happiness Can Be Found In Our Families

This weekend we were able to, as a family, sit down and enjoy a wonderful General Conference. For those who are not familiar with LDS (Mormon) traditions, General Conference is where we get to hear from the Prophet, Apostles, and other major church leaders; this happens twice a year. General Conference consists of two 2 hour sessions on both Saturday and Sunday (so 4 sessions all together). Even though there is no 'theme' and subject matter isn't commonly discussed between the speakers there always seems to be underlying message or connection. This weekend there was a TON discussed about families. The talks are powerful. Simply for the lack of a better word, General Conference is AMAZING!

I found this quote by Marlin K. Jensen, and chuckled to myself at his last statement:

"Begin in 2 Nephi 5:6 with Nephi's observation: 'I . . . did take my family . . . and Sam, mine elder brother and his family, and Jacob and Joseph, my younger brethren, and also my sisters.' Here indeed is a significant key to happiness--one's family.

"There is no other organization that can so completely satisfy our need for belonging and happiness like the family. Why do we yearn for home and loved ones? I believe this yearning is a universal, God-given instinct that all people in all cultures are blessed with. I also believe that a loving Heavenly Father gives it to us because within the family we experience most of life's greatest joys. The sights, sounds, and associations of family and home are among our most treasured memories and provide our fondest anticipations.

"Sometimes after an enjoyable family home evening, during a fervent family prayer, or when our entire family is at the dinner table on Sunday evening eating waffles and engaging in a session of lively, good-natured conversation, I quietly say to myself, 'If heaven is nothing more than this, it will be good enough for me!' "
Marlin K. Jensen, "Living after the Manner of Happiness," Ensign, Dec. 2002, 56

Really I chuckled, so I wouldn't cry :-) If I could always tap into that feeling of times I've experienced perfect joy with my family I believe I'd be better tempered and more patient with my children and husband. Because isn't this what life it all about: being together, loving each other and having fun. I'm grateful for the Gospel and the knowledge it brings into my life. I'm grateful for the Atonement and the joy it brings me. I'm grateful for families and how it gives a little slice of heaven.

And to all my faithful blog-reading buddies, I promise to jump on the blogging band wagon once again. Thanks for making me feel like what I have to write and show is important (even if it isn't that great!!).

1 comments:

Cynthia said...

What a neat quote! And I think your writing is great, just for the record. :-) I think you have a pretty good excuse for not blogging for awhile- you have a lot going on!

Related Posts with Thumbnails