We're glad you came! Read, Enjoy and Comment.
RSS

Monday, August 15, 2011

Dynomite's First Day of Kindergarten

My early riser is excited for Kindergarten!
Here she is sporting her new frog jammies. Just before this picture I asked her if she was excited. Even though her mouth is full of banana, I could tell that she was because she launched into her obvious HaPpY dAnCe!She wanted to wear a shirt with a tie. This is her, I'm-so-happy-I-can-wear-a-tie-today look.All set for school!! Backpack on, new clothes, and brushed hair! Okay Mom, enough pictures....lets go!!

You may be asking yourself, "Why is this 4 year old little person going to Kindergarten? And weren't you homeschooling?" Those are valid questions! I will answer in bullet points:


  • Dynomite was DYING to go to school!

  • I wanted to put her in pre-school, however it is very expensive around here for private school (3K/yr on the high end!!). Public pre-schools cannot legally take her because she turns 5 before December 2nd which makes her eligible to go to Kindergarten.

  • Yaya (my mom) suggested I look into the elementary school near our house (15 min slow walk). The school is rated at 2 on greatschools.com because of their low state testing results (which did sway me to homeschool in the first place).

  • After some research we realized that their Kindergarten program is similar to pre-school in Ohio. I promptly enrolled her (What did we have to lose!). Plus it doesn't cost me dime!

  • She is the token blondie in her class! And probably the only white girl :-) But she doesn't pay attention to that, so we don't draw attention to it.

  • We worked all summer on pre-school stuff like: memorizing our address (set to the tune of "Where is thumbkin?"), writing her name and the alphabet, knowing uppercase and lower case letters out of order, recognizing shapes (1D &3D) & colors, counting small groups of objects (1-10), counting to 10 in Spanish, counting to 20 in English, and working with scissors and glue, and lots of coloring.

  • In the end, I figure either a)she'll do great and I'll homeschool her 1st grade next year or b)she'll struggle a little because she's young and I'll enroll her in Kindergarten in Orcutt.

The benefits are:



  • She get to go to school, like she wants!

  • Its close enough to walk to.

  • Lunch is free for all students!!

  • She's out before noon.

  • The classroom is beautifully decorated (much better than my dining room!) and is bright and cheery and full of great learning opportunities.

  • She has a wonderful teacher, that came highly recommended.

  • She'll most likely learn some Spanish. I had best to teach her a few phrases so she can talk to her desk mates :-)

Everything is great for her! I just hope the boys don't hold it against her that we all have to get up early now to get her to school at 7:45am!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos to you for doing your homework and listening to the desires of your child. she's a smarty-pants so she'll blossom beautifully!

Jen and Allen said...

She looks so grown up. I bet she will do great. I am going to face the same thing next year... Audrey is already trying to read and do kindergarten things and she is 3. I love her pj pic.

Related Posts with Thumbnails